Holy Hip Hop
- May 2008
- Alicia Keys Searches For Background Singer
May 5th is the deadline for females age 21-30 to submit their 30 second video demo via MySpace.
- Rapper RZA Introduces "Digi Snacks" Album
The album is set to drop on Koch Records in July of 2008.
- April 2008
- Prodigy Reaches #1 On Billboard Hot 100 Single Sales
The first single entitled "The Life" reached the #1 stop on the Billboard Hot 100 Single Sales Chat.
- RIAA Gold Earned By "Lupe Fiasco's The Cool"
North American tour also announced by Lupe Fiasco supporting Kanye West.
- Busta Rhymes Video "We Made It" Features Linkin Park
The co-lead vocalists of Linkin Park are featured on Busta's first single and also a music video from the album "Blessed."
- Keak Da Sneak Set To Release "Deified" On Koch Records
Release features Too Short, Daz Dillinger, Mistah Fab, Prodigy of Mobb Deep, Alchemist, Chingo Bling, Lil Keke, Jacka of the Mob Figaz and more.
- KRS-One & DJ Premier Debut Exclusive Video
The video is now exclusively available online and is entitled 'Criminal Minded '08 (Smirnoff Signature Mix).'
- Three 6 Mafia Prep New Album Release For June
The title of the upcoming release from the rap group is "Last 2 Walk" and is set to drop on June 24th.
- Rapper Prodigy Featured On Video Game Soundtrack
The soundtrack to Grand Theft Auto IV features music from the rap artist Prodigy.
- Trina's Latest Debuts At #1 On Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Charts
The 4th album from Trina entitled "Still Da Baddest" made its debut at #1 on the Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop album chart.
- TAG Records Created By Island Def Jam And Procter & Gamble
Island Def Jam Music Group and Procter & Gamble’s TAG brand announce the record company creation set to be run by Jermaine Dupri.
- Young Buck Getting Ready To Drop Double Disc DVD/CD
Double-disk DVD/CD entitled "A Billion Bucks" set to feature 6 exclusive new songs from Young Buck.
- SMC Records Announces 2008 Album Release Lineup
Bay Area record label is gearing up for releases from Killer Mike, Capone-N-Noreaga and Pastor Troy.
- Tech N9ne Presents Krizz Kaliko Album & Tour
The two rappers will be performing all across the country on their tour promoting the album "Vitiligo."
- Jay-Z & Mary J. Blige Gross $9M In First 8 Tour Dates
The two recording artists are currently involved with their "Heart of the City" tour of the U.S. and Canada.
- Gnarls Barkley & Santogold Perform In NYC Next Week
For those that are going to be in the NYC area on April the 10th, check out Gnarls Barkley & Santogold perform at the Highline Ballroom.
- Little Vic Sets Drop Date For "Each Dawn I Die"
The rap album entitled "Each Dawn I Die" will be available in stores on April 8th.
- Bad Boy Records Group Day26 Debut's #1 Top R&B Album
All male R&B group created by P. Diddy received the #1 spot on the Billboard R&B albums chart.
- Method Man & Street Life Prep "Back to Back"
The limited edition CD/DVD entitled "Back to Back" is set to drop May 13th.
- Notorious B.I.G. Movie Casting Update
The roll of Mister Cee in the upcoming biopic has been filled by Edwin Freeman AKA Billy-D.
- Mariah Carey Earns Her 18th #1 Single
In a historic record setting event, Mariah Carey's latest #1 single "Touch My Body" has surpassed the previous record holder, Elvis Presley, for the most #1 Billboard singles.
- Usher Set To Drop Release "Here I Stand"
Worldwide release of the album "Here I Stand" is set to drop May 27th.
- Profound Intent Releases "Stop Signs Don't Exist"
The rap group accused of dissing Beyonce and 50 Cent cleans up their act with consistency. The Debut EP "Stop Signs Don't Exist" releases July 29, 2008.
- Rapper Dirtball Releases Single "Mushroom Cloud"
The new single entitled "Mushroom Cloud" features Kottonmouth Kings Daddy X.
- March 2008
- Record Label 404 Music Finalizes Label Deal With The D-Boyz
D-Boyz Entertainment is comprised of the rappers Stone and Lac. Their first release features Mannie Fresh, Jevenile, BG, TQ, Jazze Pha and more.
- R&B Group Cherish Announces New Album
The album "The Truth" features the single "Killa" featuring Yung Joc and is set to be released April 2008.
- Diddy Intros Janelle Monáe To Bad Boy Records
First album from Janell Monáe entitled "Metropolis" is co-executive produced by Big Boi.
- Music Portal For Artists Claims To Have Artists Interests In Mind
President of the music portal claims to be a working artist himself and wants to make the artist in control of their own work.
- Hip Hop Education Program Debuts In LA Schools
National education crisis motivates schools to look at nontraditional program to help close achievement gap.
- "The Formula" From Buckshot & 9th Wonder Set To Drop
The second collaboration from Buckshot and 9th Wonder entitled "The Formula" will be released on April 29th.
- Big Geminii Preps Debut Release For April
The debut single from the new album "History In The Making" features rapper Flo Rida.
- 2Pac's Mother Responds To LA Times Article
Recent news surfaced that documents provided to the LA Times were in fact forged documents.
- 20th Anniversary For Ruthless Records
Known to some as one of the most successful indie music labels of all time, Ruthless Records is celebrating their 20th anniversary with a luncheon and showcase.
- Online Mag Interviews Young Buck Over Unpaid Royalty Rumors
In the audio recorded interview, Young Buck, states that the rumors of being unpaid are false.
- Erykah Badu Remixing Contest Starts Today
DJ's from around the country are encouraged to be creative remixing an acappella version of "Real Thang."
- Danity Kane Takes Top Spot On Billboard Top 200
P. Diddy's female R&B group, Danity Kane, made chart history as the first female group to debut #1 with debut and sophomore albums.
- Rapper 50 Cent Featured In Upcoming Video Game
The rapper will be playing the role as a game hero with the sequel to "50 Cent: Blood on the Sand."
- Lil Wayne's Latest Makes Radio History
The latest radio hit "Lollipop" breaks records at crossover and urban radio.
- Prodigy Featured In New Sansa Ad Campaign
The rapper Prodigy previously known for his role in the rap duo, Mobb Deep, will be the first confirmed artist for the Sansa advertising campaign.
- Usher Introduces New R&B Group "One Chance"
"I had no doubt that these guys have what it takes to not only live up to the great R&B legends of the past, but to have the same kind of respect and longevity that many of those greats still enjoy today." - Usher
- Tyga Sets Tour Dates With Gym Class Heroes & Kidz In The Hall
Upcoming artist Tyga is still waiting for his June 10th album debut release, but will be on tour in the meanwhile.
- Snoop Dogg Episode of VH1 Storytellers Taped
Fans of Snoop Dogg can watch this exculsive performance on VH1 Storytellers: Snoop Dogg when it premiers Monday, March 31 at 10PM on VH1.
- Unsigned "Saschali" Records Music With Akon & Elephant Man
The currently unsigned recording artist is currently in negotiation with a major music label.
- Ziggy Marley Supports National Music In Schools Movement
Son of music legend, Bob Marley, is visiting Los Angeles Public Schools as part of the national movement.
- Kelly Rowland's Digital Album Released Today
The album entitled "Ms. Kelly: Diva Deluxe" with new and remixed songs are now available through all major online digital music providers.
- Mike Jones Shows His Latest Look & Talks New Album
The rapper has announced new details about his latest album to drop and shows off his latest look.
- Wyclef Jean Integrates New Technology Into Music Video
The music video entitled "Fast Car" integrates Sony's PlayStation 3 and PSP into the video's theme.
- Global Hip-Hop Artist K'naan Releases First US Album
For the first time in the rappers history, he will be releasing his award-winning album for the first time in the US.
- LA Rapper "The Game" Sets June 24th As New Drop Date
The rapper recently announced at an event that his third album would be released on June 24th.
- Release Date Set For Lil Wayne's New Album
Young Money/Cash Money/Universal Motown recording artist Lil Wayne is gearing up to release his highly anticipated album Tha Carter III, the final in the trilogy, on May 13th.
- "Rollin' With Dre" Tells About 2 Decades With Dr. Dre
The unauthorized book about the rap mega producer, Dr. Dre, follows the story of events over the last 20 years of his life.
- Rapper MJG Enters Exclusive Record Label Deal
Hip hop artist MJG, known by many for his long-time rap partnership with 8 Ball, just signed with 404 Music, Inc.
- N*E*R*D Joins Kanye West On Tour
The following tour dates are current as of 3/20/2008.
- R&B Group Day26 Releases Their Debut Album
The group created by the reality show Making The Band, is ready to drop its first ablum entitled "Got Me Going."
- September 2007
- Wyclef Jean Invites Artists To 'Carnival II' This Fall
The list of artists who were invited includes Paul Simon, Shakira, SoaD and more.
- "The Pack" Get Ready To Drop "Based Boys"
Rap group known as "The Pack" are preparing to release their album entitled "Based Boys" on September 16th.
- Talib Kweli's Album "Eardrum" Marks A Career First
Recording artist well known in the industry made a splash with his latest album "Eardrum" reaching #2 on the Billboard Top 200.
- August 2007
- Yung Joc Announces Tour & New Album
The sophomore album from rapper Yung Joc is entitled "Hustlenomics."
- T-Weaponz Takes Home Underground Music Award
The award comes at just the right time for T-Weaponz who is releasing his debut album on September 25th.
- Entourage Soundtrack Features Rapper T.I.
The HBO origional series "Entourage" is launching a soundtrack of music heard on the hit TV show.
- Rapper Cassidy Launches Rap Battle Contest
Fans of hip-hop music who have a skill for rapping should enter this contest hosted the the recording artist Cassidy.
- July 2007
- Shakur Estate Files Injunction Against Death Row Records
The estate of Tupac Shakur has filed an injunction against Death Row Records to prohibit the sale of unreleased 2Pac material in the company bankruptcy auction.
- Too Short Expresses His Love For The Bay
The first compilation release from Too Short's Up All Nite Music Label is entitled "I Love The Bay" and is in stores today.
- Disturbing Tha Peace Hosts "Celebrity Chick" Video
Check out the DTP records web site tonight at 8:30PM EST for the viral video premier.
- Everlast Records "Saving Grace" Theme
The latest theme for TNT's drama series "Saving Grace" was written and recorded by Everlast.
- G. Love Announces Tour & Video Release
Recording artist G. Love is releasing his first video ever titled "A Year and a Night with G. Love & Special Sauce."
- VH1 Pays Tribute & Honors Hip-Hop Founders
TV event paying tribute to the founders of hip-hop will air Monday, October 8th at 10PM EST.
- SoulStice Readies "Dead Letter Perfect" Album
The rapper has a Masters Degree in Electrical Computer Engineering and still holds a position with the US Department of Defence.
- West Coast Hip-Hop Group Debuts "Deep Hearted"
The group "Strong Arm Steady" is getting ready to drop their studio LP with an exclusive mixtape to support it.
- UGK Hip-Hop Album Tracklist Announced
Album from the rap group is entitled "UGK (Underground Kingz)" and will be dropping August 7th.
- Zune Hosts Free "Live at the BBQ" Event
Thursday, July 12th kicks off the events that features artists such as Common, E-40, Mos Def and more.
- Lil Fizz From B2K Drops Debut Album
The release entitled "Pay Day" is set to be digitally released on iTunes starting July 17th.
- Raekwon & Icewater Ready "Polluted Water" Album
Get ready for the album featuring guests such as Method Man, Busta Rhymes, Rick Ross, Three 6 Mafia and more.
- Talib Kweli Unveils "Eardrum" Release Date
The six studio album release from the popular rapper will be released on August 21st.
- T.I. Makes Spectacular Return With "T.I. vs T.I.P."
Album sales numbers from the first week of sales took the album to the top spot on the Billboard 200 album chart.
- Keyshia Cole Introduces Her Sophomore Release
The female R&B recording artist is getting ready to drop her album entitled "Just Like You."
- DTP All-Star Compilation Gets Drop Date
The album is titled "Stength In Numbers" and is set to his store shelves on August 28th.
- Rebel Music Group Launched By Universal Music Latino
The joint venture between Universal Music Lation and the popular underground rap group known as "Psycho Realm" will be known as Rebel Music Group.
- Hip-Hop Countri Boi Signs With TVT Records
The deal with TVT records is a big accomplishment for the rapper who is a native of Dallas, Texas.
- Kelly Rowland Joins Effort To Raise Global Warming Awareness
The effort to raise awareness about global warming features Kelly Rowland, Scott Ian and Lil Mama & SNL via 24 hours of video programming in Zwinktopia.
- Dr. Dre's Daughter "Manaj" Featured In Upcoming Film
The reality-based film project is set to star the rap legend's daughter is her "dream come true."
- Chris Tucker Speaks Candidly With Playboy
Popular gentlemens magazine will be featuring an interview with Rush Hour star, Chris Tucker, in their August edition hitting store shelves July 6th.
- Cinematic Orchestra Includes Kevin Michael
Those in the NYC area are invited to the event starting Saturday, July 7th from 3PM to 7PM at the Central Park SummerStage presented in collaboration with Giant Step.
- May 2007
- 50 Cent Hosts BET's Celebrity Rap City
You can check out 50 Cent hosting BET's Rap City from May 29th through June 2nd.
- New 50 Cent Hip-Hop Album Is Delayed
The album entitled "Curtis" was set to drop June 26th, but is now delayed until September 4th.
- Largest Hip-Hop Film Festival Sets For Launch
The event celebrating the art and culture of hip-hop and more is being held May 31st - June 17th.
- Jeff Jones Explodes Onto The Hip-Hop Scene
The new rapper from the West Coast is dropping his first mixtape entitled "I Smell Smoke Vol.1."
- Profound Intent Drop Digital Hip-Hop EP
You can find this release in digital-only format starting October 16th, 2007.
- Bow Wow-Omarion Launch Nov. 13th Hip-Hop Album
The top secret collaboration project is set to be released on November 13th.
- Ne-Yo Album Tops Billboard Hip-Hop Charts
The Grammy-nominated recording artist has experienced great success with his latest album "Because of You."
- Bay Area Rapper Turf Talk Delivers "The Cure"
The album is entitled "West Coast Vaccine (The Cure)" and is set to drop on June 5th.
- Supa Nova Slom Readies Debut Hip-Hop Release
Currently signed to Ra Ra NTRtainment, the rapper Supa Nova Slom is getting ready to drop his debut album.
- Emily King & John Legend Set Hip-Hop Tour Dates
Emily King is getting ready to drop her album titled "East Side Story" on August 28th.
- Chamillionaire Meets With Energizer Hip-Hop Talent Winner
The hip-hop talent winner for the Energizer talent show was announced and congratulated by Chamillionaire.
- Omillio Sparks Ditches Jay-Z & Chooses Koch
The rap artist has completely ditched Jay-Z's Roc-a-fella Records for a deal with Koch Records.
- Sophomore Hip-Hop Album From Mike Jones Announced
The album drop date has been changed to July 10th and is entitled "The American Dream."
- Daddy Yankee Hip-Hop Tour Announced
The first Reggaeton platinum-certified star for Interscope records has just announced his recent tour dates and locatations.
- Tupac Shakur Estate Partners With EverGreen Copyrights
The mother of the mega rap star has entered an agreement with the leading independent global music publishing and marketing company.
- Zune Media Player Gets Exclusive Halo 3 Edition
The media player from Microsoft will be branded exclusively for the XBox game, Halo 3.