College Student Parents Encourage Legal Music Downloads
Recently released survey from parents of college students showed their support for legal downloading.
Home > Blog
Related Topics
Related Ads
Posted by Dave
Rap News Network
4/27/2006 9:15:12 AM

A survey just conducted by College Parents of America in partnership with Ruckus Networks reveals that parents of college students are concerned over the risks their children face for illegally downloading music, movies and videos from the Internet, and believe their children's schools have some level of responsibility for encouraging legal alternatives.

The survey, conducted among more than 650 parents of current or soon-to-be college students, shows that nearly all parents -- 98% -- are aware that their children use their computers for entertainment purposes -- from listening to music, watching movies/videos and playing games to socializing and accessing news and information.

According to the survey, among the most popular of these activities was listening to music, with 89% of the parents indicating that their children used their computers to do so. Around 57% of parents reported that their children were downloading music and/or videos on their computers while the remaining 43% either indicated that their children were not downloading music and videos online or responded that they didn't know.

In recent years, many college and university students have faced fines, lawsuits and probationary measures taken by their schools after the discovery of illegal downloading activities by the Recording Industry Association of America, which works to protect the intellectual property rights of artists worldwide. The College Parents of America survey showed that 94% of parents expressed an understanding of the legal actions that can be taken against their children for illegally downloading music and movies.

When asked whose responsibility it is to encourage legal downloading of entertainment, 87% of parents believe they hold responsibility to discourage illegal file sharing by their children. Nearly the same percentage of parents -- 82% -- believe colleges and universities share in that responsibility and would expect them to take measures to promote legal downloading if options and resource were available. Three of every four parents surveyed believe that these options currently exist.

"Having watched their children grow up with a keyboard at their fingertips, parents know that their kids will inevitably turn to their computers for entertainment," said James Boyle, President, College Parents of America. "And parents also know that downloading music is easy, prevalent and often illegal. These days, colleges and universities can offer alternatives that are just as easy and available, but more importantly to parents, legal."

One such alternative is Ruckus Networks, a service that offers music and movies legally through direct relationships with record labels and Hollywood studios. College Parents of America and Ruckus recently formed a partnership with the mission to educate parents on safe and legal file sharing and to provide news and information to parents about the rapidly evolving industry that is impacting their children's lifestyles

The survey generated responses from over 650 parents of students attending public and private colleges and universities, as well as a small percentage attending public two-year colleges or high schools.

More articles related to the topic Support can be found here.

Options Email  |  Save
<< PrevNext >>
About  |  Rap Web Directory 


Copyright 2000-2021. Rap News Network.

Privacy Policy