Posted by Robert
Rap News Network
9/16/2003 12:15:31 AM
Tags and topics realted to this article include Suge Knight.
Timothy "Timmy Roo" McDonald 34, is to go on trial this week in Los Angeles Superior Court on charges of attempting to murder a gang rival on a street in South Los Angeles last October. By the authorities' own account, no one was injured in the incident and the intended victim has never been located or identified.
McDonald's family says authorities trumped up the charge to pressure McDonald for information about Knight, owner of Death Row Records.
"The police wanted Timmy to snitch on Suge Knight, to tell lies," said McDonald's mother, Mahalia. "The detectives told Timmy if he didn't play ball, they'd get him."
Deputy Dist. Atty. Dara Williams, who will try the case, denied the allegation.
McDonald has ties to the Compton gang world and to Knight, whose roster of stars once included Dr. Dre and Tupac Shakur.
A member of the Mob Piru Bloods, McDonald has worked for Death Row as a security guard. His older brother, Alton, was Knight's chief bodyguard until he was gunned down in Compton in April 2002, apparently by gang rivals.
McDonald and an accomplice, also a Mob Piru Blood, were in a part of South L.A. dominated by the rival Denver Lane Bloods. Investigators contend that McDonald intended to kill the unidentified man to retaliate for the slaying of a Death Row Records employee a week earlier by a Denver Lane gang member.
McDonald was initially charged with firearm violations, assault with a deadly weapon and two traffic infractions: driving without proper license plates and failure to wear a seat belt.
When the Sheriff's Department sought to add a charge of attempted murder, the district attorney's office initially refused, said Sandi Gibbons, spokeswoman for the office. Prosecutors told sheriff's officials that they would need to find the intended victim to sustain such a charge.
The Sheriff's Department lobbied prosecutors to reconsider, and the district attorney's gang division agreed to file the attempted murder charge, said Gibbons and Williams, the trial prosecutor. McDonald was formally charged with the offense on Nov. 26.
McDonald has been in custody since then, unable to post the $550,000 bail.
His mother said her anguish has been compounded by the Sheriff's Department's failure to find the killers of her older son.
*Click the source tab to read the entire article.
Find out more about Suge Knight. Other items you may find on Suge Knight include updates, news, multimedia, chat, links and more. Click here...